Monday, January 19, 2009

Day Ten: The Launch of The Body & Soul Challenge

I've been having a bit of trouble with this project already. It's hard for me to commit to taking care of myself, in between all of the other things I want/need to accomplish. So when I found Body & Soul magazine's challenge recently, I knew it was just what I needed. Today is Day 1 of the Challenge for me. Some of it I've already incorporated, so today will be fairly easy for me. Here is today's challenge:

1. Cut back on caffeine. I ditched coffee weeks ago, and made the switch to herbal tea or warm apple juice with cinnamon. Surprisinly enough, I've noted no ill effects from caffeine withdrawal.

2. Cut back on sugar. I'm a sugar freak, so this is going to be tough. Thankfully, I LOVE fruit, so the plan is to substitute when I get the craving.

3. Drink 6-8 glasses a day of room temperature water. I loathe cold water, so I was glad to see it notes room temperature water. This shouldn't be too hard.

4. Abstain from alcohol. I'm ready to be done with this, too, as we'll start TTC again next month, and I want my eggs to be in as good a shape as possible.

5. Stock up on groceries for the eating plan. The eating plan includes oatmeal, fruit, almonds, veggies, hummus, and whole grains. I have most of this in stock already (LOADS of veggies courtesy of the leftovers of the veggie platter from a couple of days ago!).

6. Spend 20 minutes writing an honest assessment of your diet. I am supposed to answer a list of questions about my diet, as well. Here goes.

The problem with my diet is that I often fail to eat. It's not like I plan not to eat, but I'll get busy or distracted with something, and realize that it's 4:00pm and I still haven't had lunch. I don't actually even get hungry very often. And by this, I mean that I literally don't feel the sensation of being hungry. The only time I really feel hungry is the morning after I've eaten a huge dinner, oddly enough. If I've gone a REALLY long time without eating, I'll get tired and grouchy, which is usually a reminder that I need to eat.

The questions:

1. What are the healthiest--and least health--aspects of your diet?

When I remember to eat, it's usually good stuff. I genuinely enjoy fish and fruits and veggies. Of course, I also am a candy freak, so I eat way too much sugar. And when a craving hits, because I'm thin, I don't feel the need to limit myself. So, say I'm craving Pringles. I lust for them, really, and their salty goodness. I prefer the light version, not because they are light, but because I think they taste better. But light Pringles really aren't light at all, on sodium and fat, etc. Particularly when you eat the ENTIRE can in one sitting, as I am prone to do. My solution to this problem is that I simply don't buy them at all, and distract my craving by replacing them with something that is slightly salty, but more healthy.

2. Do you have any particular weaknesses?

Um, see above. Pringles, cheese, chocolate--I don't have any self-control.

3. What, if anything, would you like to change about your food choices?

I'd like to regularly maintain an eating schedule of whole grains and veggies, and cut back on high fat and high sodium foods. They are tempting, but not very healthy. The problem for me is not caloric, as it is for most people. The problem for me is making sure I eat regularly.

That was only eight minutes, but I don't have anything more to say about my diet, really. I'm off to make myself some oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment